Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ground Down

In many ways, we've been through the mill this year.
Beck's Mill, Salem, IN
So it seemed fitting, that in the grip of holiday spirit brought on by online deals, I ordered myself a Victorio grain  mill.

I've never ground my own grain before but whole wheat flour in the stores hereabouts is lackluster--and expensive. Emergency Essentials sent me an offer I couldn't refuse and I succumbed--a small mill for less than $50.

Then  I had to locate some wheat to grind. My go-to guy for finding things locally had a lead on soft wheat grown a few miles away but not hard wheat (he'd bought a ton--yes, 2000 pounds!--of the stuff many years ago and was still using that. Now THAT'S preparedness). Hard wheat is necessary for bread which is our main use for flour.

So I searched the net. Many places offer hard wheat but the shipping is a bit much to justify the purchase. Amazon to the rescue! Not only can you order ORGANIC wheat berries from them but it qualifies for free shipping. Wow.

50 lbs of wheat arrived a few days ago (the UPS man is beginning to dread coming here)and the mill yesterday. I tested it last night with peppercorns and it worked great. But the real test was whole wheat flour.

I poured in 1 cup of wheat and started grinding. Set at the finest setting, the flour came out silky soft. It took about 10 minutes--that's with breaks for photos--and was fairly easy to turn. I can feel it in my shoulder but then I'm in wretched shape.

The 1 cup of berries yielded almost 1 3/4 cups flour.


I wanted to test this high gluten flour on bagels but was pressed for time so I mixed up some muffins. I did add 1/4 cup white flour as the recipe calls for 2 cups.


Man oh man, do these taste good! I'm not a fussy eater and have the palate of  a toddler, but I'll go out on a limb and say the fresh flour made quite a difference. Although mostly whole wheat, these aren't heavy or dense and have a...wait a minute, I've got to "test" another one...sweet, nutty flavor.

The grinding is an effort but since there are only two of us, we don't use mounds of flour and when the grandkids come visit, this will be a great way for them to burn off some of that excess energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment