Saturday, February 23, 2013

Heating Up


Do you use bottom heat for seedlings? I never had but when I planted some tomatoes today, I decided to experiment a bit.

I don't have a heating mat and refuse to pay $20+ for one. I remember reading about using Christmas lights instead so I retrieved our one string of lights from the holiday decoration box and stuck them in the bottom of a styrofoam cooler (continuing the Christmas theme--the cooler was part of a present. Thanks, Grandma!). I set the pots in a pan on top of the lights, then put on the top to conserve heat and we went out frivoling the entire day.

When we returned, I checked the temperature in the cooler.


Whoa! Tomatoes like it warm but 105 degrees is probably a bit much. I left the lid off and soon it dropped.


Much better.

I also left some seedlings on the grow shelves, unheated, to compare.


Yes, that's really the temperature in our house*.

Now this isn't set up like a real scientific experiment as I have used different varieties of seeds from different years:

   In the cooler: 6 cells of Stupice(2011 seeds), 6 of Aunt Ruby's German Green (2012).
   Unheated: 6 cells of Yellow Pear Cherry (2011), 3 pots of Principe Borghese (2010), one pot of Matt's Wild Cherry (2010), and 2 pots of Morena Paste (unknown year but at least several years old).

Despite that, it should give me an indication whether bottom heat is worth it for warmth loving seeds. I'll keep you posted. And even if it doesn't work, the cooler makes a great nightlight!


*Yes, the plant stand is right next to the woodstove. However, the two plus ricks we bought last month turned out to be too green to burn. So they're aging for next year and we're back to propane.

1 comment:

  1. That is a tricky idea! I had thought about recruiting a heating pad and trying it.

    ReplyDelete