Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mother of all projects


I bought wine last night.

I can't emphasize enough how unusual this is. In fact, I can't remember ever buying wine before.

It's not that I'm against alcohol; I just can't stand the taste. I can't even swallow Nyquil.

So, me paying money for the stuff is a newsworthy event.

I don't like wine. But I do like wine vinegar.

I finally found Bragg's Vinegar in our grocery store. Bragg's is notable for not only being a wonderful apple cider vinegar but also being unfiltered, i.e. it contains the mother.

And then I found this gallon of wine which was discontinued and drastically reduced.

A-ha! A serendipitous turn of events means wine vinegar at a reasonable cost is mine. Or will be after a few months of me ignoring it while it does its thing.

I just poured a glug of Bragg's into the wine, covered it with cheesecloth (I learned the hard way to use REAL cheesecloth, not that wimpy stuff sold for cleaning. Otherwise, you'll be raising fruit flies with your vinegar), and set it aside. Simple, no attention or further steps. My kind of project; now if only I could find rabbit cages that would build themselves...

2 comments:

  1. When I make cheese I use gerber birdseye flats in place of cheese cloth. Nice and sturdy, ties well, bleachable when necessary and I can just toss it in the wash. I find endless uses for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody,
    I never heard of the stuff, what exactly is it?

    ReplyDelete