Saturday, September 14, 2013

Saturday Revels




Most people look forward to the weekend. When they return to work on Monday, they regale each other with tales of their adventures. 

I bet few of them will say they spent their Saturday washing kittens.

I discovered, much to my dismay, that our three little white kittens were infested with fleas. These are outdoor cats so they are not held to the hygienic standards of house pets. But when we can see the little black specks fur swimming and occasionally jumping off to bite a human, then something has to be done.

We're 11 miles from the nearest store and on a tight gasoline budget, so a trip to find flea powder would have to wait for a regular errand run. I turned to the internet; a Dawn bath was suggested.

I was not going to try to bathe cats by myself so I enlisted Tom's aid. He brought the victims in one by one.



I put a ring of Dawn around the kitten's neck. Fleas will run towards the head when they suspect you're out to get them so the soap necklace served as a barrier. Then we soaked the poor cat in the extra bubbly water.
 

Once the fur was wet, you could see how many fleas there were. Ugh! We tried to comb them out but we don't have a flea comb so that didn't work. We picked out as many as we could be most wouldn't budge. We can only hope the soap killed most of the critters.


When we felt we had tortured each feline enough, we rinsed them off and Tom towel dried them.

They were amazingly cooperative; we didn't get scratched once. Their mom, Dale, also has fleas but I draw the line at trying to wash a full-grown cat. 


They're out in the sun now, complaining to each other about how horrid humans are to helpless kittens.

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment