Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stitches happen



After a 30 year hiatus, I am embroidering again. 

I bought a box of miscellaneous goodies at an auction; among other treasures inside were two pillowcases stamped for embroidery. I always have a long list of things to do over the winter, needlework wasn't one of them. But now I've got a new project, one perfect for working on while sitting in front of the wood stove on these frigid days.

Tom said this reminds him of a scene in the movie YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU where Tony and Alice discuss her mother:

Alice: Do you know why my mother writes plays?
Tony: Well, she probably likes literature, good books...
Alice: No, Because 8 years ago a typewriter was delivered to the house by mistake.
Tony: If it had been a plow, she would have taken up farming.
Alice: I'm sure of it.


We really can't predict the future. Making plans is fine, having goals and an idea of what you want out of life gives us direction. But I see it as a good thing that life surprises us with the unexpected.

So chart out those action steps but leave some wiggle room for chance and serendipity. Sometimes we have to just accept the new friend, the radical thought, or the embroidered pillowcases.



No comments:

Post a Comment