Sunday, July 21, 2019

Times of Extreme Frugality: Give When You Can

I am worldwide financier, a partner in four international and one domestic agricultural enterprises. 

I am also a certified tightwad and even in my giving, I look for the best way to stretch my money.

Two years ago, I discovered KIVA. I originally donated $50 and took advantage of a partial matching fund someone offered (I can't remember the details), so had $75 to lend. And that money is still being loaned over and over.



Jane is a grandmother and farmer in Kenya. She needed $300 to purchase new farming tools and equipment. Working through Kiva, 8 different folks loaned her the needed money. She repaid the loan within 18 months. I could now loan that same money, a whopping $25 from me,  to Mercy.


Mercy, also from Kenya, needed $200 to buy seeds and fertilizers. She runs her own farm business and has managed to send all of her children to school. She repaid the entire loan in 14 months. 

So now that $25 could go to Attractive from Zimbabwe.



Attractive is a teenage entrepeneur who runs her own chicken broiler business. A loan of $300 helped her buy feed and chicks. She contributed "social interest" by volunteering with a local group supporting women and, after just 14 months, repaid the loan today.

With that money, we were able to loan to Paddy from Uganda.


Paddy only needed another $25 to get his loan of $550 for fertilizer for his banana farm, the exact amount we just got repaid by Attractive. Kismet!


Kiva operates globally, including the United States. Our only domestic loan so far went to George.



George is a retired New York City firefighter who became ill due to exposure to the 9/11 site. He decided to change lifestyle to cope with his medical problems and requested a loan to upgrade his poultry houses. He is still repaying the loan. And I'd love to hug that duck.

A small amount donated when we had a bit of extra cash continues to help people two years later and reminds us that you don't have to be wealthy to make a difference.













No comments:

Post a Comment