Friday, July 19, 2013

Farmhands


The garden has, once again, gotten away from me. Weeds and pests abound and I just can't bring myself to spend more than 5 minutes out there since this heatwave started.

This morning's 5 minutes were spent watering the tomatoes (I think I have an issue with blossom end rot, so I've dissolved calcium pills* in some water. It can't hurt and just might help). I did a double-take when I saw this tomato hornworm and it's hitchhikers.

These are the coccoons of braconid wasps. These tiny wasps lay their eggs inside the hornworms; the larva hatch and eat the caterpillar's insides (almost makes you feel sorry for the beggar). The wasps are tiny and don't bother people.

And luckily for me, they don't mind heat and humidity. At least, someone is working in the garden!

*I had stocked up on calcium pills on sale and now don't take it anymore. If this works, I'll feel good that I've found a use for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment