Friday, July 5, 2013

Hello Fodder

Growing fodder for your livestock is all the rage.

For those of you who don't know, fodder is sprouted seeds that are allowed to grow up a couple of inches, basically grass or seedlings.

If you're a large farm, you can spend big bucks on a fodder set-up; Farmtek will sell  you the means to grow fodder hydroponically starting at $1,500 up to almost $5,000.


Since I wanted to feed 3 rabbits, I figured that might be over the top a bit.

My set up consists of 6 pans made from milk or vinegar jugs--5 have holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, one is for soaking the seeds.



They set on a tray I got years ago at a dollar store and I measure out the wheat berries with the top of a spray paint can. I water twice a day if I remember.

Total out of pocket expense: $11 for 50 lbs. of wheat from the feed store, very in tune with the spirit of frugality here at Skillet Farm.

So far the rabbits are "meh" about the wheat grass. They nibble on it half-heartedly and don't touch the root mass or berries. When they're finished, I give the remains to the chickens so nothing goes to waste. I have cut down on the rabbit pellets I feed and also supplement with weeds and goodies from the yard and garden. I think the fodder will be more important over the winter when green stuff is hard to come by.

Have you experimented with fodder? What's your system and how is it working for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment