Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The ballad of Woodchuck Acres



I've wanted a place in the country since the 1970s. I devoured the old Mother Earth News, the originals, back when it was raw and scrappy.


I wanted a place in the country. But my husband didn't.


And there were jobs and college and a baby and more college and mid-life crises (yes, plural) and even more college and a career.


Until finally it fell into place and in 2002 we moved to McDonough and started to turn our 2 acres in a homestead.


We gardened, dug up rocks, got chickens, dug up more rocks, built sheds, installed a woodstove, got goats and bees. And did I mention the rocks?


Neighbors brought us venison, the worm guy stopped to introduce himself, we helped open a local library branch, went to fire station spaghetti suppers. Tom established his guitar studio and got a great church job. I even ran a small csa from the produce I grew. We loved it here.


But all things end. And it's time to move on. The prospect of starting over is exciting, scary, and will add grey hairs to my head. The cons probably outweigh the pros. Not a smart move, risky in uncertain times, irresponsible.


I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment