Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life is for learning




I'm a child of the 1960s, a Baby Boomer. Come of age during the Vietnam War, flower power, and make love not war.

Whenever I hear "Woodstock" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, I get teary. Not because of nostalgia, not because I went to Woodstock (I didn't even know it was happening) but because my generation blew it.

We were going to change the world. We knew so much more than the establishment, knew sending young men to war was a crime, knew the environment was in danger, knew politicians weren't to be trusted.

And what did we do with that knowledge?

We grew up to be the people who send soldiers to war in foreign lands, grew up to invent more ways to pollute the earth, grew up to support the good ol' boys in both parties.

I never marched for peace and justice, I am not an activist, not political, not one to rally to a cause. But I am ashamed of my generation, saddened by the lost opportunities.

"We are stardust, we are golden,
We are caught in the devil's bargain.
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."

2 comments:

  1. yes we all blew it but the generation now is still blowing it! they don't understand how hard life really is, they are babied and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crafty Jo, so right! Yes, we blew it. But when I look at my younger generation coworkers (mostly younger than my own children) I shake my head and roll my eyes. And their children? Not a chance. Being raised on store bought, ready made peanut butter sandwiches, crusts cut off and in plastic wrappers, packaged in another box. Mom can't even find time to make them a real sandwich?

    ReplyDelete