Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Don't tread on me


We made hard decisions about what to sell and what keep in our move to Indiana; I sold my hat collection and parted with my vintage dress patterns, we let the tent and camping gear go along with an impressive amount of books and vinyl records, even some kitchen tools.

But there was never any question about the treadle sewing machine.

I bought the Singer over 30 years ago at an auction. We suited each other from the beginning.

This early model (1901) Singer L is basic, uses shuttle bobbins and only sews in a straight, forward line. She's plain label and sturdy: a few gears and a rawhide cord, a cast iron base and oak cabinet.

For over 100 years, the up and down motion of that treadle has marked women's lives in stitches and darts. She holds the memory of young girls dreaming of proms and weddings, of new brides creating homes, of mothers sewing sunsuits and pinafores, of grandmothers holding grandchildren on their laps and closing the circle.

I'm no great seamstress but together we've made clothing and costumes, curtains and totes. I hope for many more years of feeding her fabric and if I'm lucky, some of those times will see my grandchildren learning to sew on my lap.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you kept that machine! I would have, too. I have a couple of old treadles in working condition and they won't leave my house until I die. I feel exactly as you do. And the great thing is that it's another item that doesn't require electricity. If the power goes out, you can still sew if you have enough light.

    ReplyDelete