Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bedazzled in the garden


I woke up this morning thinking about the Krebs Cycle*.

The Krebs Cycle, aka Citric Acid Cycle, was part of our photosynthesis studies in botany. Chemistry, however,  will always remain a mystery to me; I managed to memorize enough of the cycle to barely pass the tests then promptly forgot it. In fact, it was a semester of Organic Chemistry that opened my eyes to the fact that I would never get an advanced degree in Plant Science (I later discovered you can easily get a Masters in Library Science and never see the inside of a laboratory).

But I digress.

What the Krebs Cycle really brings home is the absolute marvel of green plants.

Somehow, kohlrabi, which never set foot inside a college classroom, not only manages Krebs but mitosis, geotropism, photosynthesis and all of those other big words we've forgotten from biology lectures. Carrots begin life as a seed almost too tiny to handle and become luscious, orange bunny food. And maple trees! One winged seed somehow germinates in dense forest and eventually takes over the neighborhood as the climax vegetation.

Scientist can explain and strew facts endlessly on the whys and hows and wherefores of nature, that doesn't mean life isn't a wonder. Take a minute and stand in awe.


*The pre-move stress must be getting to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment