Friday, June 22, 2012

The fruit of the matter


Assuming we finally get to Indiana (3 weeks!!!) and assuming I can get the site prepared and assuming I have any money to work with, I'd like to start my orchard.

The area I intend to use is approximately 45' x 90', with full sun and good drainage. I'm thinking dwarf trees (apples, plum, pear, peach, etc.), blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, grapes, cranberries. I've grown all of these before with varying degrees of success, the plant husbandry part I can handle.

But I sure could use some advice on two fronts:

  • Fencing. What works for deer and smaller pests? Bear in mind extremely limited budget!

And what do you do between your plants? Do you leave grass and then mow (N.B. My husband does the mowing and he hates it!)? Do you mulch everything or plant ground cover or...?

I welcome your experience. Here's to the fruits of our labor!

1 comment:

  1. Plant chicken forage and let the chickens range in the orchard. They will fertilize your trees, eat the windfalls and you'll only have to mow every now and again! You might have to protect your berry bushes, but then again you could just plant enough to share with the chickens. ^_^

    ReplyDelete