Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Made to last



I am not one to wax rhapsodic over kitchenware.


I have the usual assortment of pots and pans, bowls, spatulas, etc. They get used and work well. But cast iron? I LOVE my cast iron,  especially the cast iron breadpans.


I've been baking our bread for years and using Pyrex pans I got ages ago. They did the job even though they're looking kind of scruffy by now. This year with some birthday money (thanks, Mom R!), I treated myself to two cast iron bread pans from Lehmans.


Oh my, what I've been missing all of this time!


The dough loves it's second rising in these and bakes evenly with a great crust. Loaves have less gaps and holes, even when I'm in a hurry and don't form them as tightly as I should. The finished bread doesn't stick to the pans and you don't have to wash them, just wipe them out and store.

And if you drop them, you may break a toe but never the pan!


Cast iron and bread are a match made in baker's heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment